Any free surface in the summer cottage can be beneficial. We have repeatedly talked about vertical gardening, gave examples of the creation of beds and flower beds. It is time to talk about the roofs. After all, they can also be landscaped. This idea in modern landscape design began to be used not so long ago, but it is not new. The wonderful gardens tell us about the wonderful gardens that were planted exactly the same millennia ago. The trendsetter in this matter can be considered Babylon. The famous gardens of Babylon - one of the wonders of the world. Subsequently, in Rome, Greece and Western Europe, this tradition was not only supported, but also developed. And today, this method of gardening is back in fashion.
Why is this decor method so good?
Roofs covered with greenery, twined with flowers - it is very beautiful. But, as it turned out, beauty is not the only advantage of such an unusual kindergarten.
We list the main advantages that this gardening gives us.
- Thermal insulation improves. Additional coating can be perceived as an excellent thermal insulator. The owner of such a peculiar clearing can save on heating or air conditioning. If we are talking about unheated buildings, which include chicken coops, dog kennels, garages and some workshops, then the most favorable microclimate is formed in them.
- The quality of the air is changing. An increase in the number of living plants in the plot favorably affects the general condition of the air, because more oxygen is produced as a result of photosynthesis.
- Dustiness of air decreases. Green spaces hold a large amount of dust.
- Absorption of excess moisture in the rainy period. Soil reduces the rate of runoff from the roof surface of storm water.
- Soil, like a natural filter, cleans rainwater. As a result, there is no soil pollution on the site, nor its erosion.
- Green spaces increase the soundproofing of the room.
- Green roofs will last longer than usual for their owners, since they can easily withstand any effects: ultraviolet radiation, various temperature fluctuations, showers, hail, etc.
- A large number of plants invites bees, butterflies and birds to the garden.
The vegetation on the roof is always unusual. Everything non-standard not only draws attention to the site, but also increases the value of your property.
Roof landscaping methods
There are only two ways of landscaping: extensive and intensive. They differ in the amount of planting material used and the level of care that will subsequently be needed.
Option # 1 - labor intensive intensive method
In order for the landscaping procedure to be possible, a stable roof structure is needed. This is especially important with an intensive way of performing work. It is characterized by the use of a large volume of soil (up to a meter), planting a wide variety of plants from flowers to trees and shrubs. Such a roof can not only be admired, but also relax on it. Everything that usually decorates a site can be recreated on it.
Design options for the recreation area can be seen in the material: //diz-cafe.com/plan/zona-otdyxa-na-dache.html
That is how often office buildings, restaurants, fitness and shopping centers, expensive cottages are decorated. Everything in an improvised kindergarten, broken in an unusual place, disposes to rest. It is possible to equip a spacious terrace or a summer living room in a country house. If the house is located on a hillside, for example, then you could climb into this recreation area both from below and directly from this slope. All this looks quite attractive.
Option # 2 - Extensive Green Roofs
Much less maintenance requires landing in an extensive way. This is its main advantage. With it, only a small layer of compost or soil is needed, and fertilizing once or twice a year. Fertilizers are needed only for succulents or flowers, grass cover can do without them. When choosing a suitable top dressing, it should be remembered that it should not be washed out by rain streams so that there is no pollution of wastewater.
On the roof you can grow an unpretentious lawn from Irish moss, read about it: //diz-cafe.com/rastenija/mshanka-shilovidnaya.html
If we want to plant, for example, sedum, we need only a few centimeters of nutrient substrate. At the same time, the load on the roof surface is significantly reduced. But its service life increases. Sometimes plants can be placed in containers. Planted in an extensive way, they require almost no maintenance. However, weed them at least once a year still have to.
This option of planting is actively used to decorate warehouse and industrial premises. In summer conditions, sheds, garages, baths and other canopies and buildings are covered with vegetation.
Roof requirements for landscaping
Green coating can be applied on flat, pitched or even tent structures. If the ramps can be called steep, then it is better to use the extensive method on them. In the case of a flat surface, it will be necessary to create an artificial slope for the drainage system to avoid stagnation of water. In the absence of natural effluents, it is necessary to think over a drainage system, which increases the cost of the landscaping procedure. The low flow rate also has its advantages: the degree of filtering of storm flows increases.
It doesn’t matter if the structure has an attic, it will not significantly affect the planting process. But having an attic provides additional benefits. With him:
- easier to control the condition of the roof and drainage system;
- if the intensive method is used, special mines can be equipped to increase the preservation in winter of the root system of large perennial plants.
The main requirements for the roof are the strength of its structure. After all, she will have to endure not only the total weight of the created multi-layer “pie”, but also the operational loads. With extensive landscaping, the structure must withstand 170 kg / m2, with intensive - up to 350 kg / m2. It is necessary to provide enhanced waterproofing and protection against the penetration of roots, which can damage the lower layers of the roof.
When carrying out work, try to balance the loads, distribute them as evenly as possible. Particular attention should be paid to irrigation and drainage. Check them immediately for reliability, because then it will be much more difficult to carry out repair work. It is better to spend money initially, but to do it well, and then just keep everything in an active state, enjoying the result.
Which plants are better to use?
When choosing plants for planting on the roof surface, it should be remembered that they should get along well together. In addition, the process of developing seedlings and seedlings on a hill is different from the ground. Not all flowers, shrubs and trees are ready to adapt to new conditions of survival.
When choosing seedlings, we will be guided by the following criteria:
- small root system;
- excellent drought resistance and frost resistance;
- ability to withstand wind attacks;
- general unpretentiousness.
The construction, covered with greenery, should attract attention with its beauty and well-groomed. Ground cover herbs, creepers, creeping and dwarf bushes and trees are perfect. In the spring, muscars, scylls, crocuses, daffodils are preferred. Green spaces can be grouped by signs of external attractiveness, which is so important, because these plantings will be visible from afar.
You can build a colorful Moorish lawn. Stonecrops, sedums, saxifrages, creeping phloxes, allisums, cloves, oregano, lavender, gypsophila, bluebells have proven themselves well. The total height of the cover with the extensive version should not exceed 30 cm. Yes, you will have to work at the initial stage, but, in the future, this decoration of the house and buildings will bring you so much joy that you will forget about your expenses.
General rules and requirements for work
If the plants will be planted directly on the surface of the building, and not in containers, a sequential arrangement of the following layers is necessary, which we will list for you from the bottom up.
- Base. In this quality, you can use a continuous crate of grooved boards.
- Waterproofing. On flat roofs, particular attention should be paid to the reliability of this layer. The material and insulation technology must be selected in accordance with the design features of the building. Do not save on waterproofing, otherwise subsequent repairs will cost much more.
- Anti-root protection. It is necessary to prevent the penetration of roots into the underlying layers. For this purpose, foil isol, evalon, fiberglass, foil are suitable.
- Drainage. This layer should be durable, lightweight and light in weight, even when saturated. Granular or foamed materials are suitable: expanded polystyrene impregnated with bitumen, nylon or expanded polystyrene granules. When laying drainage pipes, they are located at the edges of the ramp.
- Filter layer. It is designed to prevent soil particles from entering the drainage level. Geotextiles will perfectly cope with this task.
- Soil substrate. The challenge is to make this layer as light as possible. Therefore, synthetic baking powder, sand and peat should be added to it. For flowers and succulents, fertilizers are applied to the soil. The thickness of the soil is calculated as 1 / 3-1 / 4 of the height of the adult plant that will grow here.
- Plants. About what is better to grow here, we spoke above.
If the roof has a slope of more than 18 degrees, it is necessary to provide protection against slipping for the lawn. To do this, you can put together frames from wooden battens, use a wire mesh or a special lattice made of PVC. If planting requires regular watering, an additional irrigation system is needed. It is better to use the automatic option, which will allow you not to pay too much attention to the problem. The drip irrigation method is considered ideal, because excess moisture to the roof is useless.
It will also be useful material about the device drip irrigation systems: //diz-cafe.com/tech/avtomaticheskij-kapelnyj-poliv-gazona-svoimi-rukami.html
For those who are not yet ready to turn their roof into an emerald lawn, the option of planting flowers in special containers is suitable. See if you like the idea in principle. If in general you doubt that you are able to bring your idea to life, try your hand at a small area. Let it be at least a doghouse or canopy over the well.