The lawn is an element of landscape design that gives the plot a noble appearance. Previously, in order to get a juicy carpet of greenery, the allocated territory was sown with special herbal mixtures. This method is not rational: it requires significant financial investment, effort and time. Today you can use a roll lawn. So called grass carpets created in nurseries. The coating is grown for 2-3 years. Finished rolls are transported on pallets. It takes only a few hours to lay the lawn. According to experts, this technological method is the most effective of all available.
Description of Roll Lawn
Rolled lawn - a mature grass cover grown using a loose plant structure or mesh of artificial fibers. The substrate helps to form a turf, maintain integrity during transportation in bays. Lawn grass is grown in nurseries, in special fields.
After 2–3 years of growth, the sod layer with a structural substrate is cut out, rolled into rolls, convenient for transportation and sale. Sow grass through special equipment. Thanks to him, the seeds during planting are at a close distance from each other. As a result, the manufacturer receives a dense grass stand without visible defects. Plants are selected, focusing on the terrain, frost resistance, resistance to ailments and high temperature conditions. Joints are clearly visible on the roll coating after laying. The seed planting mixture is selected for each type of lawn.
The grown lawn is cut after the root system has developed. After removal, the coating can be stored for 24 hours. The more time has passed, the worse the grass will take root in a new place.
A standard-sized roll has the following parameters:
- width - 0.4 m;
- area - 0.8 m²;
- thickness - from 15 to 20 mm;
- length - 2 m.
The format of the plates of the special and ground grass reaches 5x8 m. The thickness of the turf layer is up to 2 cm, the green carpet is 6-7 cm.
Twisted strips are delivered to the point of sale via bays.
Advantages and disadvantages of a rolled lawn
Rolled turf is a technological and quick way to beautify. Laying with the preparatory phase takes several hours.
The sod substrate grows to the fertile layer in one season.
A roll lawn has both positive and negative sides. The first include:
- ease of use;
- resistance to low temperatures;
- lack of problems with cleansing the grass cover;
- attractive appearance;
- undemanding to growing conditions.
Lawn care does not take much time. Mandatory agricultural activities include only regular watering and top dressing.
A turf grown on a synthetic substrate is appreciated for its good survival rate. Defects are possible only with the purchase of coatings lying on rolls and immature, one-year, they are very vulnerable.
It is desirable to purchase two-year-old mats. They are resistant to trampling, are not demanding on moisture, are hardy to Russian frosts, and are brightly colored.
Manufacturers of rolled lawns for mass consumers grow universal varieties of lawn grasses: bluegrass, various types of fescue, ryegas grazing. Other cereal and moth varieties are rare.
Green mats due to the dense root system displace weeds, prevent them from developing.
The lawn is easy to care for. Abundant watering is only required during rooting. Repair does not take much time, it is enough to replace the damaged fragment with a new one.
Such a coating can be applied if the personal territory does not differ in a flat surface. An additional bonus of the cut lawn is its ability to conceal relief defects.
It is laid on any, slopes, rocky ground. They issue level platforms, roofs, space under stairs, balconies.
To cover, you do not need to create a thick soil layer. Rolls can be laid on geotextiles, covered with a thin (5 cm) layer of soil. It grows to a sand mixture with a low humus content (not more than ¼). With this installation, the risk of clogging with wild herbs is minimized.
Stacking is carried out from early spring to late autumn.
The coating can be given any shape: cover them with trunks of trees, flower beds. The rolled lawn takes root well on slopes, alpine hills, in park zones, the urban environment.
Many are attracted by the quick result: most types of rolled turf are exploited a week after laying.
The uniform density of the lawn is created by seeders. Automatic machines lay out seeds at a fixed distance. Sod coverings are not prone to the formation of bumps, bald spots. Rows of grass form in one direction. The lawn looks neat, decorative.
The only negative consider high cost. Buying grass cover for the entire household territory will cost a very impressive amount. Therefore, many gardeners lay a rolled lawn only in areas that attract the most attention. In the remaining area, grass is planted in the usual way. Material costs, physical effort and time will pay off in the next 2-3 months.
Types of Roll Lawn
Rolled lawns are distinguished by:
- intended purpose;
- seed composition;
- on the substrate.
- Parterre are distinguished by impeccability, look velvet. They are considered elite. They do not walk on them; animals cannot be let out onto grass. Any dynamic load is prohibited. These coatings are treated with a wide grip mower. They are grown on the chernozem layer, peat fibers (screenings) are used for structural formation of the formation.
- Universal, ordinary or landscape gardening designed for walking, they are unpretentious in care, hardy to regular loads. The main advantages of such lawns are that they can be used on difficult terrain with slopes and lowlands. Grown on grids with loamy soils. When planting, seeds of plants are used that do not need abundant watering and a lot of sunlight. Grasses are sown with maximum density to form a strong turf.
- Sports super-hardy are not afraid of a heavy load, the grass after mashing should quickly return to its original position. Sports green coverings are laid on golf courses, children's playgrounds, roadsides, pedestrian zones in an urban environment. Tennis and football turf grass stands are distinguished separately, they are formed on a special drainage, are distinguished by low grass, are sown in nets with high density.
Artificial grasses are classified by the composition of the seed mixture, which depends on the intended purpose.
- For ground elite lawns, the basis of the mixture is red fescue. It forms a strong dark green turf of uniform density, thin-leafed in structure. It grows well after cutting.
- For decorative, park lawns meadow meadow grass is used. It is unpretentious to light. It forms an elastic, dense, uniform cover. Resistant to frost, trampling, mechanical stress.
- For universal, a mixture of three herbs is prepared: bluegrass, ryegrass, fescue. The lawn takes root on any soil, resistant to aging, mechanical stress. Cold-resistant, forms a springy cover.
- For sports, the basis of the mixture is ryegrass, bluegrass is added up to 35%. Velvety grass stand is not prone to trampling, characterized by elasticity, strength. It grows only to soft soils, loves lighting.
There are two types of substrates for growing a rolled lawn; a grass mixture is sown:
- on a grid of agrofiber, covered with a layer of soil 2 cm;
- on a mixture of peat and black soil, cut 1.5 cm thick.
The chernozem roll is better adapted to the new conditions; it has been grown for at least 2 years. Mesh is more resilient to transportation, it is ready for sale in 2 months.
Rolled lawn prices
The cost directly depends on which of the above groups the product belongs to. Of particular importance are plants forming a green carpet.
|Variety||Seed composition (crop name,% content)||Features||Price for 1 m², rub.|
|Economy||Bluegrass meadow / 100||Unpretentious, not requiring special care, resistant to weather conditions and trampling.|
|Standard||Bluegrass meadow 4 varieties, the main varieties Kentucky Bluegrass: Granit, Blu Velvet, Langara, Starburst in equal proportions.||Unpretentious, grows well in sunny areas, resistant to frost and heat, haircut is carried out once a month, top dressing once every six months.|
Not resistant to intense mechanical stress.
|Elite (Shade-Hardy)||Meadowgrass meadow, varieties: Everest / 15, Bluechip plus / 15, NuGlade / 20, Impact / 20. (latest selection).|
Red fescue, grade Audubon / 30.
|High quality lawn for shady corners of the garden. Resistant to disease, drought, high humidity, frost, not picky about mowing (once every two months).|
He does not like mechanical loads and needs aeration.
|Universal||Red fescue: Audubon / 20;|
Bluegrass: Impact / 40, Everest / 40. (Varieties characterized by drought and shade tolerance).
|Decorative, resistant to mechanical stress. Quickly adapts to any soil, sun or partial shade, resistant to the vagaries of the weather, does not suffer from trampling. With a short haircut it is possible to use as playgrounds for children.||145|
|Parterre (King of the Elite)||Red fescue (grass mixture) / 45;|
Bluegrass oak grove / 25;
Perennial ryegrass (grass mixture) / 30.
He does not like dry time, acid-base soils. Demanding on watering and cutting (2 times a week, should not exceed 5 cm). The need for continuous fertilizing with nitrogen fertilizers.
|Sports||Red fescue: Audubon / 30;|
Meadowgrass meadow: Bluechip plus / 30, Impact / 20, NuGlade /20. (Varieties that can withstand heavy traffic).
|Designed for intense gaming. Resistant to adverse weather.||170|
The higher the roll category (grade), the less weeds in it.
The cost of one roll is determined based on the area of the cut lawn.
Rules for choosing a roll lawn for the site
When choosing material for covering the front lawn, it is not recommended to forget about the features of each type.
A standard roll lawn can be laid without the help of specialists.
The universal canvas is considered a premium lawn, which undoubtedly affects its value. This can be explained by the lack of need for regular processing of grass cover.
Before purchasing a green carpet, you need to calculate how many rolls are needed. To do this, you must:
- Determine the area of the territory allocated for the lawn.
- Add to it 5% of the obtained indicator if the site is flat, or 10% if there are defects.
- Calculate the number of bays, considering that the area of a standard roll is 0.8 m².
When making calculations, one should not forget about the planned discounts, paths and bends. As a result of their registration, an increase in waste will occur.
Checking the quality of the lawn
Before buying a roll is recommended to deploy, inspect. To choose a quality coating, you need to pay attention to such factors as length, width, area. The average weight of the bay is 25 kg. The roll should be “woven” from plants whose stems and shoots reach 7 cm. The thickness of the root system layer of 2 or more cm indicates the quality of the material.
It is necessary to make sure that the rules of agricultural technology, cutting technology (no plucking), and cutting are respected. The condition of grass and turf is determined by making a side cut.
What to look for:
- the integrity of the turf plate and grass stand so that there are no cuts, uneven crumbling edges, bald spots;
- the presence of weeds, the grass layer must be uniform;
- the color of the grass, with long-term storage, the greens inside the bay become stiff, becomes dark, mucous;
- the color of the roots, the root cobweb should be white, yellowness indicates long-term storage;
- on the side check the thickness of the sod.
It is possible to check whether the cultivation technology has been followed by inspecting the coating in unrolled form.
The identical thickness of the reservoir on both sides indicates that the roll turf is made in full compliance with the required standards.
Doubts about this arise if:
- in addition to lawn grass, weeds are present in the roll;
- the slice is not even;
- in some parts of the grass there is simply no;
- the root system is not developed.
You can verify the latter by pulling the edge of the grass sheet towards you. After laying such a material, problems with its engraftment appear. The less free space between the roots, the better.
Laying a roll lawn
You can lay the lawn yourself or provide it to professionals
Do it yourself
When purchasing rolls, you should take care of buying inventory. The gardener will need such devices as a lawn roller, a suitable rake, a clipper, a wheelbarrow.
It all starts with preparation.
The need for urgent processing of the site is due to the fact that the rolls will have to be laid on the same day when they are delivered. To get an even coating, laying must be done at a time
Survival depends on how well prepared the land is.
At this stage, proceed as follows:
- Cleans the area from debris and weeds. It is advisable to shed the soil with herbicides for their destruction. The second option - laying geotextiles on growing grass. Under the dense tissue, the roots of the weeds are extinct.
- Dig the earth, at the same time getting rid of the discovered roots.
- Create a drainage system. Gravel and sand are poured layer by layer into the pit formed after removing the fertile layer. After tamping, the harvested soil is returned to its place. On wetlands, holes are drilled in the ground and the mixture is poured into them.
- Then it remains only to level the surface, focusing on the overall height. In order not to be mistaken, twine is tied to pegs dug in the corners of the plot. To do this, take into account the location of marks made in advance. Thus, they not only get rid of excess moisture on the site, but also level it. At the same time, one should not forget about the slope that prevents stagnation of the liquid.
- The soil is well rolled with special rollers. Then the automatic watering system and the net from the moles are laid.
- Then they start laying.
- It is advisable to conduct it in autumn or spring in dry, cool weather.
The procedure is not difficult. They begin to lay where the rolls were laid. This will avoid the destruction of the root system, loss of time and attractive appearance.
Lay the rolls so that after leveling the plates it is not necessary to step on the grass.
If movement is necessary, the grass carpet is covered with plywood shields so that the load is distributed evenly.
The plates are better distributed in a checkerboard pattern, then the coating will look uniform.
They press the turf not with their hands, but with wide planks. Laying is done end-to-end, without gaps and overlays. The ends of the site are mulched with a soil mixture.
It must be remembered that:
- the strip must be unwound in a straight line;
- turning, bending and twisting the roll is strictly prohibited;
- excess should be removed with a sharp knife;
- the adjacent rows should not match the joints;
- discrepancies cannot be more than 1.5 cm;
- trimmings whose length is less than 1 m should be laid in the middle;
- for rolling the first row it is allowed to use a boardwalk;
- the seams should be coated with a special mixture.
If you order work from professionals, they will cost the following prices:
- Finishing the soil and laying itself - 150 rubles 1 m².
- Earthwork in rubles per 1 m²: cultivation - 30, weed removal with rake - 15, leveling and compaction - 25.
- Drainage system - 1400 rubles. running meter.
Within 2 weeks after the creation of the lawn should be watered (from 10 to 20 liters per 1 m²). The soil layer must not remain dry. Otherwise, rooting in the root system will take a long time. For irrigation it is best to use automatic sprinklers. Source: www.autopoliv-gazon.ru
Fertilizers must be selected, taking into account the characteristics of the soil and the time of year. In the fall, potassium-phosphorus will be needed, in the summer - nitrogen.
After planting we must not forget about weeding. The sooner the weed is harvested, the less the grass itself will suffer. The first haircut can be done a month after styling.
The mowing should be removed immediately. In order for the lawn to winter well, the height of the grass cover should not exceed 4 cm. Fallen leaves and debris from the cover must be removed. The lawn should be regularly combed with a rake.
Experienced gardeners at least once a year sprinkle grass cover with a composition prepared from soil, sand and peat (sanding).